Thursday 14 March 2019

Cric-Tok with Russel Arnold



When we started Cric Tok, it was to involve a famous personality from the world of Cricket. I as its editor in chief never imagined it could be fun and humorous as well.. I surprised myself and quite pleasantly so. The reason being quite obvious, the person on the other side of Crick Tok happens to be none other than the magical and often extremely funny Russel Arnold.

Russel is that type of a person with whom you can strike a conversation almost immediately. Instant humor follows. I was to do a very formal interview with Russel but with him around there has to be nothing but fun. So  I decided to change the rules of the game and we went in to do a Rapid Fire Round with the legend from Sri Lanka. The rules of the game were pretty simple. I would give him single word question and Russel in turn would return the fire, bullet for bullet. What Followed is pure fun. I tried to put Russel in a spot of bother but he managed to wriggle out each time with great finesse.

So Here Goes:

TBK:  My First Thought obviously goes to the Game of Cricket. 

Russel : Life

TBK: Thinks I will bowl the Doosra, so here goes my second bullet: Wife

Russels defence mechanism is as strong as ever, does not want to read this wrong, so his reply is as  solid : Rock(comes the reply)

TBK: Chennai, Southern State and my mind wanders around Tamizh which is my next word in query to Russel.

Russel is the man for the punch and this time the reply is one that touches a few chords. Russel: Mother(Tongue). 

By now I want to get him out, the tussle with Russel is getting interesting and as the bowler I want to dominate, not knowing that the man at the other end is a master at this game. For this I thought I would bring in the most loved Twitter Parody into action. My Question this time was about Srini Mama.

Pat comes the Reply from Russel: Twitter Thala. I can already hear the crowd breaking into applause and whistles.

TBK is not the one to accept defeat that easily so the war of words continue:

Ashwin had to come in some time in this blog so I decided to fire my next salvo. TBK: Ashwin.
Russel has this delivery well covered with his reply and I appreciate the way he plays out the Carrom Ball. Russel: Wizard.

I mark my run up to bowl a fast toe crushing slinging yorker at Russel. TBK: Malinga. Russel digs out this one at the right moment, saving his stumps for another delivery. Russel: Freak.

IPL season is just round the corner. I can feel the feverish pitch in my home town Chennai with hues of yellow everywhere. I quiz Russel around IPL and his reply is a typical Whistle Podu one. Russel: Chennaiyin Super Rajas.

The Term Wide evokes claps from the crowd or despair depending on the situation. Can you evoke Laughter from the word Wide. So I throw a Wide at Russel. His reply leaves me in splits: Idli Gundan.

Perhaps I can get him in his Home Country Sri Lanka, so I move outside of India and ask him about his own country: Sri Lanka. Again I nod in agreement with his beautiful Reply: Paradise. Of Course Sri Lanka is a beautiful nation, Paradise on Earth.

Talks of Ashwin and Russel, the subcontinent can never be complete without single reference to Off Spin. Its not an easy trade I think and the tribe a very rare lot. Russel is beginning to read my deliveries before hand: Art.

World Cup 2016, my next word for Russel, the answer is but obvious in my mind: Repeat 1983, 2011 . However Russel Fires Back: Repeat 1996. All the Best Russel on that one.

By now I want to get him out, I reserve the best delivery for the last and joy knows no bounds when I do manage to get him back to the hut with this one: Most Embarrassing Moment on the Cricket Ground. Russel: LBW to Ganguly. Howzzzzzzaaaaat, I shout. Simon Taufel at the Umpires end lifts his finger Out it is.

Well Played Russel. You must have played innings of great quality throughout your career, and this one of words was played out even more beautifully. In your second innings as a Cricket Commentator and a Social Media enthusiast you are winning over more fans. On Behalf of Gen Next we would love to wish you success in all that you do. Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts. I loved bowling the questions at you.

Back in Chennai we at Gen Next Cricket Institute have started planning for #SummerSlam 3.0. So if you are interested in joining our Camp this summer do call Sekhar on his mobile: 9884017371. Believe me its going to be a whole lot of fun!!!!!

2 comments:

Cric-Tok with Russel Arnold

When we started Cric Tok, it was to involve a famous personality from the world of Cricket. I as its editor in chief never imagined it ...